You can get IRS tax forms and instructions in many ways.
The IRS Form 1040 is used to file an individual’s federal income tax return.
The instructions for Form 1040 are updated each year and include information on how to complete the form and what supporting documentation you will need to submit with your return.
You can find the latest version of Form 1040 and its instructions on this website or from the IRS. The form and instructions can also be found at most tax preparation software sites.
Table of Contents
How to find IRS Form 1040 and instructions
The following people should not use Form 1040-SR:
- Online. You can go to our 1040 tax forms page or IRS.gov to find and download all your tax forms and how to file taxes properly.
- By phone: If you prefer talking over typing (and who doesn’t?), call 1-800-TAXFORM (1-800-829-3676) 24 hours per day, 7 days per week between January 2nd and April 15th for assistance with any tax questions or concerns that come up throughout the year – even if not related specifically To Form 1040!
- You can also find Form 1040 on the TurboTax website. TurboTax is a popular tax preparation software that offers a free version for simple returns.
What is IRS Form 1040 and Instructions?
Form 1040 is the standard individual income tax form in the United States. The form reports an individual’s annual income, calculates taxes owed, and requests refunds for overpaid taxes.
The instructions for Form 1040 provide guidance on how to complete the form and where to find additional information about specific tax situations.
Most taxpayers will use Form 1040 to file their taxes, but other forms may be required in specific circumstances.
For example, self-employed individuals must use Form 1040-ES to calculate and pay estimated taxes throughout the year.
The IRS has revised Form 1040, and many of the lines have changed
The IRS has revised Form 1040, and many of the lines from the previous form have changed.
The most common form used by individuals and married couples filing jointly is a two-page document that includes numbered lines to help you find the information you need.
Tips for completing IRS Form 1040
Form 1040 is the standard tax form used by individuals who are filing their taxes. It can be a bit daunting, but some tips can make the process easier.
First, make sure you have all the necessary information. This includes your income, deductions, and any credits you may be eligible for. You can find most of this information on your W-2 form from your employer.
Next, take your time and fill out the form completely and accurately. If you’re unsure about something, don’t hesitate to look up the instructions or ask someone who knows more about taxes.
Finally, once you’ve finished the form, double-check everything before you submit it. This will help ensure that there are no mistakes that could delay your refund or result in a penalty from the IRS.
Form 1040-SR is a new, easy-to-read form that taxpayers age 65 and older can use to file their taxes
Form 1040-SR, is a new, easy-to-read form that taxpayers age 65 and older can use to file their federal income tax returns. This form is only for federal income taxes.
- Taxpayers who have employee business expenses or tax credits (such as the earned income credit or education credits) that must be reported on another form;
- Taxpayers who want to itemize deductions; and
- Married couples with dependents who need to complete Form 8812 (both spouses must complete this form if you are filing jointly)
The IRS continues to simplify their tax forms and instructions
The IRS has simplified the tax forms, made them easier to understand, and reduced the number of pages in each form.
In addition, the instructions are now available in both English and Spanish (in addition to Chinese).
You can find and file your tax forms online with TurboTax
There’s no need to use paper forms to do your taxes. You can find and file your tax forms online with TurboTax.
Turbotax is one of the most popular online tax filing services available. It’s simple to use and can help you find your W2 and file your taxes quickly and easily.
All you need to do is create an account and answer a few questions about your tax situation. Then, Turbotax will fill out the appropriate forms for you and help you file them electronically.
If you’re uncomfortable filing your taxes online, you can also download IRS form 1040 and instructions from the Turbotax website.
Just enter your information into the form and follow the instructions on how to file it.