When Can I File My 2020 Taxes?
Table of Contents
- 1 Are You Wondering When Can You File Taxes in 2020?
- 2 How Soon Can I File Taxes?
- 3 When is the Last Day for Filing Taxes
- 4 Additional Tax Filing Facts to Keep in Mind
- 5 Tips for Filing Your Taxes
- 6 How to Get a Fast Tax Refund
- 7 What to Do if You Have Not Received Your W-2
- 8 Tax Season 2020 Start Date
Are You Wondering When Can You File Taxes in 2020?
Now, anyone can get started with early online tax filing and get a head-start on their tax return. TurboTax and H&R Block will both securely hold and then submit customers’ tax returns to the IRS as soon as they begin accepting returns. Which is usually in mid-January.
There is no faster way for taxpayers to get their tax refunds!
If you file your taxes online, you can easily prepare and file your own taxes. Online software offers advanced tools to help you file your taxes and pay the least amount possible. They also provide fast refunds.
How Soon Can I File Taxes?
When does tax season start in 2020?
The Internal Revenue Service has set the opening day for the 2020 filing season as Monday, Jan. 27, 2020. That’s the day the IRS will begin accepting and processing 2019 tax year returns.
However, you can start on your taxes now, and have your taxes automatically filed the minute the IRS begins accepting tax returns.
Which means you’ll get your refund back before everybody else.
The reason why taxpayers won’t be able to submit their returns until the January start date is that the IRS has been updating their tax processing systems in readiness for the tax season ahead. They also want to assess the impact of the latest legislation on the tax returns submitted.
As part of the Security Summit initiative, the IRS has been working closely with tax industry professionals and state revenue departments in an attempt to combat identity theft for taxpayers during this tax season.
When is the Last Day for Filing Taxes
The tax filing deadline for 2020 will most likely be April 18th.
The IRS website also has a wide variety of tools and information available that can make preparing taxes easier. In addition, the IRS recommends that you e-file and choose direct deposit as the way to receive your refund. This ensures you keep your information safe, your return is accurate, and that you receive your refund in the fastest amount of time.
Once again, the IRS has projected that nine out of ten returns will receive their refunds in less than 21 days. If you qualify, you should also take advantage of free tax options available. You can go to the IRS.gov to the “filing” tab to see what options may be available to you.
Additional Tax Filing Facts to Keep in Mind
- 70% of taxpayers are eligible to file their taxes via IRS Free File. Other commercial partners of the IRS offer free brand name software to 100 million individuals and families who make less than $62,000.
- Online tax forms allow you to have electronic versions of IRS paper forms regardless of your income. They can be prepared and filed by you if you are comfortable preparing your own income taxes.
- VITA and TCE provide free tax help to those who qualify. You can learn more about them by going to the IRS website and entering “free tax prep” in the search box. Alternatively, you can download the IRS2Go mobile app on your phone and find a free tax prep provider that way.
Tips for Filing Your Taxes
- Organize – Make sure that you have everything that you need before you even begin working on your returns.
- E-File – E-filing comes with so many benefits such as ease of use, quickness of filing, and identity protection.
- Sign Up For Direct Deposit – If you want to receive your tax refund in the quickest amount of time, you need to sign up to have it direct deposited.
- Ask Questions if Needed – If you are unsure about something, ask questions. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
How to Get a Fast Tax Refund
When 2020 rolls in, you can start preparing your tax return online. Once you have it completed, you will be among the first of taxpayers who have their returns processed and their refunds issued.
Keep in mind when you file your taxes with TurboTax or H&R Block, the process is easy. They provide you with the largest refund possible by ensuring that they ask the right questions to find out which deductions and credits you qualify for.
You can also use their free tax refund calculators to see how much your tax refund will be. When you file your taxes online, there is no way that you can go wrong, and many taxpayers can file their federal tax returns free or at a discount.
What to Do if You Have Not Received Your W-2
Before you can file your tax return, you have to have all of the documents needed, including your W-2. All of your employers are responsible for sending you this, yet they do have until February 2nd to do so. If you have not received your W-2 yet, you can follow these steps.
Contact Your Employer – If you have not received your W-2 yet, you need to contact your employer to see when they put it in the mail. It’s possible that it was returned to them due to incorrect mailing details. Once you have contacted them and found out the status, give it a reasonable amount of time for your W-2 to arrive.
Contact The IRS – If you have not received your W-2 after February 14th, it is time to call the IRS at 800-829-1040 for assistance. When calling, make sure you have your name, address, social security number, and phone number. Additionally, you will need your employer’s name, address, phone number, your employment date, the estimate wages earned from them during the year, and estimated federal income tax that was withheld. To make an estimation, you should refer to your most recent pay stub.
File Your Return – Even if you do not have your W-2, the IRS expects you to file by April 18, or request an extension. You can use Form 4852 Substitute for Form w-2, Wage and Tax Statement. This form should be attached to your return; however, keep in mind your refund may be delayed since the IRS has to verify your information.
File Form 1040X – If you receive your W-2 after you have filed your taxes, you must amend your return by filing Form 1040X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
To ensure that you receive the maximum refund possible, it is suggested that you file your taxes using online software. It makes filing taxes easy, and when filing your taxes electronically, your tax refund can be returned to you sooner.
Tax Season 2020 Start Date
With online tax filing, you don’t have to wait for the IRS tax season start date in mid-January.
If you start on your taxes now, you’ll be the first to get your refund back! You’ll be asked simple questions about your life and income, and we’ll fill out all the appropriate tax forms and file them for you.
You’ll get step-by-step instructions through your taxes, expert help when you need it, and every deduction and credit that applies to you. We make sure you get the biggest refund possible.