As with any tax credit, refund or deduction, there are a few rules that will influence the amount that eligible applicants will receive.
Here is a breakdown of everything you need to know about the Child Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit
How Much do You Get Back in Taxes for a Child?
The child tax credit for 2019, 2020, is worth up to $2,000 per child that is under the age of 17. To be eligible to claim the child tax credit, your child or dependent must first pass all of the eligibility tests:
- Must be 16 or younger on the last day of the year
- Must be a US citizen, US national, or a resident alien
- Must be claimed by you as a dependent
- Must be related to you by blood, or step relationship, or legally adopted child/foster child
- Must have resided with you for more than half of the year (special rules apply for special circumstances such as divorce)
- You must have provided them with more than half of their support